Monday, October 19, 2009

Busy, busy....


Apologies that I've been unable to post as frequently.   I'm juggling a couple of writing projects and a young woman I'm mentoring will be released soon, so there's been alot going on.

Things should calm down by next week,though. Then  I hope to start visiting some  local reentry organizations  in the area and get a sense for what's on offer.  So stay tuned, keep at it and check back here soon.  I haven't forgotten you all.

In the meantime, I came across this great program they're trying in California that trains inmates as drug and alcohol counselors to help each other and themselves.  As the author notes:
"As many as 60-80 percent of the people in prison today are incarcerated due to alcohol or other drug-related legal problems. Addiction is one of the main reasons the recidivism rate is so high. Even those who begin their recovery behind bars are at high-risk for relapse upon release due to the stresses of new environments and other obstacles . . ."
Seems like a win-win to me -- a way to help offenders,  help themselves.  It's not surprising that a couple of inmates I've worked with have been very interested in getting into drug and alcohol counseling upon their release. This kind of constructive program could help them get some of the training they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment